Memory Verse: Make no mistake: God can’t be mocked. What you give is what you get. What you sow, you harvest. Those who sow seeds into their flesh will only harvest destruction from their sinful nature. But those who sow seeds into the Spirit shall harvest everlasting life from the spirit. Galatians 6:8
Memory Verse: “Whoever knows and obeys my commandments is the person who loves me” Ecclesiates 12:13
This weeks message is kicking off the New Year with (what I think) is a general idea of what our church wants us to be like. A mission statement of sorts. Outlining that in 2012 Eastlake is going to be all about:
1. Eastlake Church is all about Jesus. Well, that is kind of a no-brainer since it is, after all, a church. Eastlake is to, for and around Jesus but we gather to align our lives with Jesus.
2. Eastlake is all about JOY – not external but in our hearts. Sin will break our loving, unending relationships. Through community we find relationships and through relationships we can find joy.
3. Eastlake will be all about obedience. Trust Him by obeying Him. Because obedience will lead to transformation, whether you intend it to or not. Trust me on this. I make sure I go to church every week so I hear the message, I take a ton of notes and in the last year and a half it has totally changed my life, on “accident”. I say accident because I did not go there initially with the intention that my life would change. It has. A lot.
4. We will be about humble repentance. Sin breaks our connections. With people, with things, with life in general. Disconnection grows as our bitterness grows and your soul will be restless until you connect with God. Humans have the free will of choice. You can choose to love or hate through sin (alcohol, drugs, cheating, lying). You might know the bible from front to back, but just because you have “The Tools” they are in no way a measure of your spiritual growth. repentance refreshes.
5. Eastlake is all about acceptance. Can I say right now, that is why I even go to this church. Trust me, raised a Buddhist and being told my whole like that there is no such thing as God… I had my preconceived notions of what a church was / is. Judgemental, condescending. Not Eastlake. Here you can come as broken as can be and they will accept you as you are. Belonging always precedes belief. If you feel like you belong someplace, you will believe.
6. Be a place of Grace. Undeserved favor, release the debt of bitterness and get restoration. “Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” Colossians 3:2-14
7. Be a church of generosity. There are SO many things that work through Eastlake. The Rachel Beckwith Charity Water campaign is a big one that started sadly, through Eastlake. Unintentionally.
8. A community of prayer. Prayer at group, pray at home, when we work, and when we scatter. Praying is not saved for church. You should pray as often as you can. Be quiet, listen. I used to only save my prayer requests for really important things like I didn’t want to bother people with little prayers. Not so much anymore.
9. Eastlake will be a place on mission.